What are British Values?
According to Ofsted, British values are:
- the rule of law;
- individual liberty;
- mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith .
Schools must promote British values, says UK Government
As of November 2014, schools must now promote British values.
Advice from the DfE is to do so through SMSC, though Ofsted will assess it through the curriculum too.
What is SMSC?
S - Social
M - Moral
S - Spiritual
C - Cultural
How do we teach SMSC at Moorfield?
Our children have many opportunities each day, each week and each half term to develop socially, morally, spiritually and culturally. Some of the ways in which this learning takes place include:
- Weekly assemblies
- Our broad and balanced, creative curriculum
- RE lessons
- Our school expectations
- Trips, visits and visitors to school
- Event days/weeks/months - Children in Need, Macmillan Coffee Morning, Black History Month
- Anti Bullying - On-going teaching and learning activities throughout the year
We will be adding further information regarding SMSC and British Values throughout the year. PLease speak with your child's class teacher if you have any questions.